Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars book review

So if you are not living under rather a rock you have probably heard to John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. Because it is pretty hard to analyze a book with out spoilers, be warned: I will freely and willingly give out said spoilers. If you don't want them, then read the book and come back.

*Ahem*

So the basic plot of The Fault in Our Stars seems pretty simple from a person who hasn't yet read the book. Girl meets boy, boy and girl fall in love, boy and girl are separated by cruel twist of fate. In normal, happy-ending books the plot ends with the boy and girl being united and pledging eternal love blah blah blah BORING. But that's whats different about The Fault in Our Stars, the ending is heartbreaking, tear jerking and just absolutely heartbreaking. Just read it, okay? Okay.

One part of the book I really loved was the letter that Augustus wrote Hazel at the end. It said:

She is so beautiful. You don’t get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she is smarter than you: You know she is. She is funny without ever being mean. I love her. I am so lucky to love her, Van Houten. You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.

If this doesn't hurt your heart then you are a robot.

Anyway the book is amazing. I find it kind of ironic that Van Houten (the author) is sorta like John Green, I mean they both wrote a sad book that tore peoples hearts in two. Granted John Green isn't a rude, annoying alcoholic SOB, but there are similarities.

One of the things I would like to address is the relationship between Hazel and Gus. So *spoilers* Gus dies at the end, but if he had lived would Hazel and he have a good, strong, healthy relationship? Lets break it down.
1- They loved each other, which happens to be a big part of if a relationship works out. Yeah I know, shocking right?
2-They were each others best friend first. This I find to be an essential part of a relationship, not that I've ever been in one... But moving on. Hazel and Gus could work out their problems better if they were friends first. As a good friend of mine once said, "Marriage is basically a really long friendship with responsibilities.... and sex." Not the exact wording, but you get the idea. Anyway I think that Augustus and Hazel would have had a good relationship inside their marriage. Now I'm not saying you have to marry your best friend to be happy, I'm just saying you should have a good, stable relationship first BEFORE you become Facebook offical.
3-They had the same interests and they were both smart people who could continue to keep the others attention for many years. One of the things that I loved about the book was that they had such funny and intelligent conversations about everyday things, such as eggs. I think that this is a necessary part in a marriage.
4- THEY WERE SO FREAKING ADORABLE TOGETHER.

So yeah, I think they would have worked out. IF JOHN GREEN HADN'T DESTROYED THAT POSSIBILITY.

So there is my review if The Fault in Our Stars.

More reviews later and I'm going to start a 30 day blog challenge. Yay for blog challenges!!!

Until next time,
A Girl Against the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment