Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Book Thief review

Let me just start this off by telling you a story. 

After going to see The Fault in Our Stars movie with a few people including my mother, I mentioned that I would like to read the book If I Stay. Apparently there is a movie coming out and we saw the trailer before the movie. It looked good. Pretty basic story line. Girl meets boy. Girl and boy fall in love. Then girl and boy are separated by certain events. Only in this case the events that separate the girl and boy is that the girl falls into a coma after a car accident in which her entire family is killed. So as she is floating round as an almost-ghost, remembering her past and trying to decide to stay, her friends  are trying to wake her up. I thought it looked good. But as soon as I mentioned it my mother put her foot down. "You need to stop reading such sad books, it not good for you." Her exact words. I forget nothing. I was pretty bummed, (but then my cousin read it and told me it was a pretty awful book) and I started to read The Book Thief. Bad mistake. After reading it I realize that my mother was right. I have to stop reading so many sad books and The Book Thief is the saddest on of all.

If you open the book at any given point and begin to read, the first thing that strikes you is the style of the writing. It beautiful. The author pulls rarely used adjectives out of his word bag and mixes it with the most beautiful and haunting story. Add to that the rich characters and incredible message that no matter if you are a German or a Jew we are all people, The Book Thief captures your heart and holds in firmly for years to come. 

The story of a young girl living in Naxi Germany is one that is not usually seen. It's usually the persecuted Jew who gets the spot light in these books, but here a young girl grows up with a street full of interesting people, a Jew in her basement and a love for books. 

The ending of the book is a real heart breaker and I read it with a tears streaming down my face and sobs caught in my throat. I had to skip dinner because, as my cousin said so eloquently, my face looked like a big red button. I'm not going to give it away, for that you have to READ the book, but after reading it I realized that at I am a cryer. I always said that I never cried, that I was strong and things couldn't get to my easily, but now I realize that I have a sensitive heart and reading the sorrows of others just kills me.

So to rate this book from 1 to 10, I would give it a....
Because it is probably the best/saddest book I have ever read. 

That's all for now,

*insert catchphrase*

A Girl Against the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment