Thursday, July 24, 2014

Say Something music video




So I don't know about you, but for me music videos are either a hit or miss. For example Taylor Swift's Ours music video was good, not GREAT, but it told an enjoyable and touching story and was REALLY cute. (Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ34LlaIk88.) Overall it was a really adorable song with a video that actually had something to do with the song (and the whole soldier-coming-home thing really got me in the feels). Also Taylor's hair is very cute. Just a side note.

Anyway so there is an example of a good music videos, others include Owl City, Lindsey Stirling (although sometimes its a bit repetitive. She jumps, she dances, she plays her violin. We get it), and a few others. A example of a bad music video? Just type in Miley Cyrus and click what ever comes up, odds are she swing on a wrecking ball, naked. But the Say Something video, (link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2U0Ivkn2Ds) was something different then the standard music videos. Lets break it down.

Cons

1-CHRISTINA AGUILERA. While she has a pretty good voice, she spends the entirety of the video running her hands up and down her body in a way that I think I'm supposed to see as sexy... It takes away from the rest of the video. She is in a skin tight black dress and has WAY to much makeup on. But I guess that's what you get when you put a that woman in a music video about serious love...

2- The couple at the beginning. While it made sense that the producers would cast a damaged couple for a song that's about a damaged couple, I don't think that they captured the whole essence of the of the song. The song made it sound like it was a person who was giving it all in a relationship and not getting anything back, he is begging her to "say something", like "I love you", so he won't leave. The couple in the music video made it look like it was a girl dating a bad boy and she got burned. It sounds like the same thing, but if you look closer its not.

3- This dude's hair....

Just...no.

Pros

1-The song is amazing. I almost cried the first time I heard it. It speaks of a man begging his lover to tell him that she loves him, so that he won't give up on her. To say the words that every human want to hear, crying into the abyss that he would do anything for her, just please.... say something.
I know, I know. I got carried away. But its a beautiful song that gets you right in the heart.

2- The piano. Always good in a music video.

3- The old couple. When I say I almost cried when I first heard this song, I meant when I HEARD it. When I SAW it, I cried harder than I cried when Augustus died, Jean Valjean died or when Tris died. Something about an old couple being separated in the cruelest way possible really hurts me. It was the best and the worst part. When he kisses her face and starts to sob....

Pros and cons aside, it was the best and the saddest music video I have ever seen.

Until next time,
A Girl Against the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment