Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Mythbusters: Twilight Edition

I see this thing a lot.
And so I thought, "What the hell? I'll look it up and see the 15 criteria for domestic abuse and see if this is true."
Now I'm just going off of what I read in ONE Twilight book and some Wikipedia pages. (Don't judge. I was bored and things happened....)
For every criteria met, I will give one point.



1. A push for a quick involvement: Comes on very strong, claiming, "I've never felt loved like this by anyone." An Abuser pressures the woman for an exclusive commitment almost immediately.
So the relationship is a fairly quickly moving one, but I don't think that Edward really PUSHES for a quick relationship.
0 points
2. Jealousy: Excessively possessive; calls constantly or visits unexpectedly: prevents you from going to work because ‘you might meet someone;" checks the mileage on your car.
He does get pretty jealous with Jacob. But not really aggressively so. I'll give it half a point.
1/2 point
3. Controlling: Interrogates you intensely (especially if you’re late) about whom you talked to, and where you were; keeps all the money.
Again, Edward does interrogate Bella about what she does and who she sees, but its for her safety. Or maybe not, I wasn't really paying attention.
0 points
4. Unrealistic expectations: Expects you to be the perfect woman and meet his every need.
He did sorta push her to become a vampire, not enough for it to be immediately noticeable, but he did want her to. I give half a point again.
1/2 point
5. Isolation: Tries to cut you off from family and friends; accuses people who are your supporters of "causing trouble."

I definitely didn't see this in the book and wiki pages. But then again, I'VE ONLY READ ONE BOOK. But side note, Bella's dad is awesome. Totally awesome. I would much rather watch him fight zombies and evil vampires then he's daughter's sappy love story.
0 points.
6. Blames others for problems and mistakes: The boss, it’s always someone else’s fault if anything goes wrong.
Nope. He does pretty much the opposite.
0 points
7. Makes everyone else responsible for his feelings: The abuser says, "You make me angry instead of, "I am angry’ or, "You’re hurting me by not doing what I tell you." Less obvious is the claim "You make me happy."
He does say, "You make me happy" and does make her responsible for his some of his feelings. But then again, I'm really looking for fault at this point.
1 point
8. Hypersensitivity: Is easily insulted, claiming that his feelings are hurt when he is really mad. He’ll rant about the injustice of things that are just part of life.
He honestly just seemed like a rock to me. No emotion.
0 points
9. Cruelty to animals and to children: Kills or punishes animals brutally. Also may expect children to do things that are far beyond their ability (whips a 3-year-old for wetting a diaper) or may tease them until they cry.
Does the whole vampire thing count as cruelty to animals? I'm gonna give it a point because you really shouldn't date a vampire. Just common knowledge.
1 point
10. "Playful" use of force during sex: Enjoys throwing you down or holding you down against your will during sex; says he thinks that the idea of rape exciting.
Doesn't he, like, hurt her at one point? I am not totally sure...
0 points because of my insufficient knowledge.
11. Verbal abuse: Constantly criticizes you, or says blatantly cruel, hurtful things; degrades, curses, calls you ugly names. This may also involve sleep deprivation, waking you up with relentless verbal abuse.
No. This I can say with certainty.
0 points
12. Rigid sex roles: Expects you to serve, obey and remain at home
I REALLY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HUMAN-VAMPIRE SEX, OKAY?
0 points
13. Sudden mood swings: Switches from sweetly loving to explosively violent in a trotter of minutes or even more confusing, within seconds.
Again. He's a freaking rock.
0 points
14. Past battering: Admits hitting women in the past, but says they made him do it or the situation brought in on.
Does the whole, you know, sucking-blood-and-making-people-vampires thing count? I think it deserves half a point.
1/2 point
15. Threats of violence: Makes statements like, "I’ll break your neck," or "I’ll kill you" and then dismisses them with, "Everybody talks that way," or "I didn't really mean it." If he has come this far, it is time to get help and get out!
ROCK. LIKE SERIOUSLY.
0 points

Ok, so give me a few minutes to do the math.
ok.... almost there.
just a few more seconds...
OKAY
FOUR POINTS. I think...
Let me check again.
......
Actually its 3.5 points.
OKAY
3.5 POINTS
So I'm no abuse expert, but that doesn't seem like a kind of a relationship that is abusive.
Frankly, I think its stupid and dumb, but not abusive.

SO THAT MYTH IS DEBUNKED.

No comments:

Post a Comment