Friday, November 7, 2014

My First Boyfriend

So I've been watching a lot of Good Mythical Morning recently (I tend to binge watch YouTube when I'm sick) and I watched a few where they were talking about their first girlfriends in middle school. And this reminded me of the story of my first boyfriend.

Before I begin you have to understand that my social circle as a kid (and now too) consisted mostly of homeschooler families, and we met every Friday or Saturday at the Park. To normal kids, the Park was a place to hang out and have fun. To us, it was the center of any drama that ever happened.

So the characters that are crucial to this story are as follows:

Me- A naive eight or nine year old. Apparently good girlfriend material in the eyes of young pre-puberty boys....
Lauren-My best friend at that time. Kinda pushy, but really sweet and really looked out for me.
Adam- A kid I had know for a while. Nice but kinda loud.

So one late summer's day, Lauren's family had a party out on their barge on Lake Waco. It was a fun affair, lots of swimming, yelling, laughing. Half way through the party, I was approached by Adam. We talked for a while, arguing who could jump off the roof of the barge and make the bigger splash (Newsflash: it was me.) And all of a sudden he asked me to be his girlfriend. Now I don't remember the exact reason I said yes. Maybe I didn't know what the word "girlfriend" really meant (thats the one I like to go with) or maybe I didn't hear him correctly, but either way I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Immediately after asking me to be his girlfriend and me saying yes, he ran to his dad and proceeded to boast about his new girlfriend.... Yep, thats right. HIS DAD.
*facepalm*
Anyway, our relationship consisted of us being at the Park and him being annoying and putting his arm around me and telling everyone that I was his girlfriend and me just being fed up with him, but also being too shy to "break up" with him. So this went on until November, when on Lauren's birthday, she noticed how miserable I was and told me that for her birthday she wanted me to break up with him.
So I did.
And I messed it up/nailed it big time.
I went up to him in front of all of his friends, said that because it was Lauren's birthday, I was breaking up with him.
He just stared at me while his friends "OOOOOOHHH"-ed.
Then he said that he didn't want to break up and that he honestly liked me.
HOW DO YOU REACT IN THAT SITUATION?
Well if you are me, you say, "too bad, this is what I want", turn around, FLIP YOUR HAIR and walk away.
Now I don't mean to brag, but that was some awesome bad assy-ness on my part.
And that was the end of that.
I doubt he even remembers it now.
But I do.
Oh do I ever...

Kat
P.S. I should mention that I found out later that the reason he wanted a girlfriend so bad that he settled for me was that his brother had just gotten his first girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment