Friday, August 1, 2014

"Being Your Self"

"Notice the quotations I'm making with my claw hands. That means I "dun't" believe you."
                                                                                               -Bad Cop The Lego Movie
I just had to quote that. Sorry.

So anyway, today you hear a lot about "being your self." Its cool to be yourself now. Ads for clothes now show girls prancing around talking about "their" style and lots of songs and movies (such as The Lego Movie) talk about how you need to be true to your self. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being yourself. Au Contrare mon petite (I think that means "on the contrary, my darling" in French. I really have no idea. HEY WHALETON! What's the French for on the contrary, my darling?) I do think that everyone is different and we should embrace that because thats the only way to be happy. We need to accept and love ourselves and others. But the thing about the "be your self" is that people often do the opposite of it while they're trying to do it.

Its like this.
Its cool to be different. To "be your self." To be someone, that nobody else is. So we try to be someone that no one else is. We change ourselves to be the cool version of ourselves. To "be me" but in a totally cool and fashionable way. For example: me. I am a fangirl, but I tend to make the fangirl part of me bigger than the rest of me so it looks cool and unique. When in reality I'm not just a fangirl. I love old movies and the smell of old books, candles and mothballs. I love baking, especially with people I care about. I love writing and bookstores and rainy days with tea and I hate heights and people you can't trust and Hitler. I get super crazy at nights especially when I've had sugar and in the mornings I'm like a zombie. I get really insecure about all my mistakes in life and I don't take many chances because of them. I don't trust easily. I'm quiet and loud, smart and dumb, scared and brave. I am me and I don't need to change that to be cool for other people. Because, honey, if they like you for the fake you, they don't really like YOU. You are all you need to be in life and I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to improve yourself. Because even the most perfect of us all have plenty of flaws and we should all push ourselves to be the very best us that we can be. But we don't need to embelish the truth.

I had a problem this past year where I hated myself. I didn't like my appearance or my personality or anything. But now I embrace being short, bossy and having a funny nose. Its me and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Peace out peeps
A Girl Against the World.

1 comment:

  1. it is actually chéri not petite but other than that you're right. Love this post!! Very insightful! Love you! Miss you!
    Over and Out,
    Whaleton

    ReplyDelete