Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The ups and downs of having five siblings.

As the school year progresses, I have found myself spending MORE time with my siblings. Why more, you ask? The answer to that, my inquisitive friend, is that my bedroom is the only one on the second floor which means I spend lots of time away from my siblings (and thank God for that...) When school starts I am required to spend more time downstairs with my family while we embark on a treacherous journey known as....homeschooling. My mother has blackmailed me into doing "basket time" (aptly named for all the basket cases that are present during that time) and "basket time" has become the bane of my existence. Basket Time is when my mother has everyone sit down and work on school together, only its about as organized as a bag of snakes and I have to try and concentrate on my math while the entire family is singing songs about history. Part of my little siblings homeschool is to memorize bits and pieces of history, science, math, geography, and poetry for Co-op. And the way they do this? Through the most obnoxious songs in all of time and space. So I'm spending more time with them and during that time I have noticed some ups and downs about having five younger siblings.


Downs

  1. THE NOISE. This is my big one. Five siblings equal constant noise. The only peace I get is when they are gone at Co-op. And at 12 at night when they are finally asleep.
  2. The constant fighting. Mostly James's fault, but Mary isn't exactly an innocent lamb....
  3. There is no place in the house where you are safe from them.  Even my room, which is strictly off limits, is safe from them. They WILL find you. And then....God help you.
  4. When they are all together it is IMPOSSIBLE to get any sort of order. Plus if you add the Tartars (our neighbors, who are practically part of the family) its like having EIGHT siblings. EIGHT SIBLINGS. I CANNOT HANDLE THEM ALL. ITS LIKE HERDING RABID CATS.
Ups
  1. They are sorta...kinda....maybe...a little cute.... BUT I NEVER SAID THAT, YOU GOT IT?
  2. They can be really sweet. Like when the boys made me cards for my birthday and when Monica brought me tea in bed when I wasn't feeling well.
  3. They can be hilarious. Especially Monica, who has no idea to what extent the word, "boyfriend" means and will constantly ask me if random things are my boyfriend. Yesterday it was the fridge. Which, to be fair, is about as close as I'll get.... She also calls fictional characters as her boyfriends, "Iron Man is my boyfriend!" "Captain Merica is my new boyfriend!" Which is BS, because Captain America is OBVIOUSLY my boyfriend.
  4. They can actually be really helpful. Like when my parents are gone for the weekend and I'm in charge, they actually...help. Its very strange...
  5. Family hugs are the best. Seriously. Its like being smothered in love.
So there we have it. What makes my siblings annoying and great.
A Girl Against the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment