Monday, March 23, 2015

How I've changed in a year.

Today is my last day of being 15, which is kinda scary if you think about it. I've been 15 for an entire year and through that year I have changed.... a lot. And now I'm leaving 15 behind, like I'm shedding a skin or something. The weird part is I'm still not used to being 15, I still sometimes say I'm 14. So how am I going to get used to 16?! Anyway...As I was thinking all these scary thoughts, it really occurred to me how much I have changed in the past year and so, as usual, I made a list.


  1. I've become less shy. This is mainly thanks to two things: Camp and Whaleton. Camp really gave me that push I needed when I was 14, but when I was 15? I realized that those people are crazy and weird and I love them so much for it. I'll never forget sing "All About That Bass" in the halls, swapping gossip in the bathrooms, and shipping all the campers. The second person, Whaleton, really taught me the power of friendship as cheesy as that sounds. She taught me that trust in a friendship isn't something to be feared, but something that really makes life worthwhile. She taught me that having someone who is so ridiculously close to you is the best thing in the world.
  2. I've become more awkward. More socially awkward. If I'm intimidated by someone or particularly nervous around them, then I become an awkward turtle. Just completely shut down into idiot land.
  3. I've learned to love hugs. "My name is Catherine and I like warm hugs!" is a sentence that I would have never said a year ago. I hated when people touched me and for the most part I still do. But I have learned that hugs really are awesome and they really give you a sense of love and affection. (This is all thanks to being forced into hugs for many years. It's like exposure therapy.
  4. I can handle life. Life used to be this big scary thing that I couldn't handle most of the time. I ignored Life. I'm covering my ears like a kid, when it's words mean nothing I go "la la la". I'm turn up the volume as it speaks, cause if my heart can't stop it, I'll find a way to block it, I'll go "la la la." (Sorry I had to.) But now I can look Life in the eye and say "You still scare the out of me, but I'm going to persevere to the end."
  5. I've learned that the little things are what count. The tiny things that make my day are the things that add up in the end. A sweet compliment from someone I love, hearing my favorite song on the radio, dancing with friends to said song, baking with friends, watching movies with friends, shopping with friends.... FRIENDS JUST MAKE LIFE, OKAY?
Kat.

No comments:

Post a Comment